Monday, June 30, 2008

Persecution & Martyrdom, Part IV

St. Margaret Clitherow (1556 – 1586)
English saint and martyr.
She is also known as"the Pearl of York".
In 1586, Margaret was arrested and called before the York assizes for the crime of harbouring Roman Catholic priests. She refused to plead to the case so as to prevent a trial that would entail her children being made to testify, and she was executed by being crushed to death – the standard punishment for refusal to plead. On Good Friday of 1586, she was forced to strip naked, laid out upon a sharp rock, her hands tied out straight from her body, and a door was put on top of her and loaded with an immense weight of rocks and stones. Death occurred after fifteen minutes. St. Margaret was approximately 14 weeks pregnant.
"God be thanked, I am not worthy of so good a death as this" ~St. Margaret Clitherow
Look at the Catholic witnesses in England and pray, for our time is approaching.

Act of Resignation
O Lord, my God, from this day I accept from your hand willingly and with submission, the kind of death that it may please you to send me, with all its sorrows, pains, and anguish. Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. Do with me what You will. Amen+

No comments: