Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Travel


My husband and I returned late last night from a several day visit to his family in Montreal, Quebec. We typically stay in a residence for pilgrims to St. Joseph's Oratory or L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph which is located at the corner of Côte-des-Neiges and Queen Mary Road. This site is of international renown and is the largest shrine dedicated to St-Joseph in the world. The body of Blessed Andre Bessette is also here for public veneration along with his incorrupt heart. Read more about this great miracle worker here. People come to this holy place by the bus load from all over the world. Unfortunately, it is located in a city which has lost its faith.
Montreal was once the cradle of Catholicism for all of North America. Now most parishes are empty and dying.... My husband veritably fled from Quebec and strongly dislikes visiting there. I find the city beautiful and exciting - I love le metro, the restaurants, the coffee shops (big sigh) but the lack of faith and belief is rather shocking. If you think the US has lost its faith, try spending any amount of time in Montreal. That said, I do have a great love and affection for this city and I pray for her people's conversion. I invite you all to join with me and perhaps just utter one Hail Mary for Quebec, Canada and her bishops and priests.
May Mary's prayers go with you always. Amen+

4 comments:

Paul Anthony Melanson said...

I do pray regularly for Canada. My heart aches for the lost souls. Let us pray for Bishop Melanson's intercession in this matter: http://melansonfamilyhistory.
blogspot.com/2006/10/melanson-heritage.html

Surely this son of Mary will intercede for us.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

What Paul said....I agree, it's a crying shame how the Faith has waned in our neighbor to the North. However, there are signs of hope. I've "met" many faithful Catholic bloggers from Canada.

Welcome home!

Shirley said...

Quebec used to be the stronghold of Catholicism in Canada and now it is the stronghold of liberalism. It's very sad. I often pray to the Divine Mercy for mercy on my country.

Anonymous said...

I saw the link to your blog at La Salette Journey. It is always good to see Catholics who foster devotion to the Mother of God. Will you be publishing more chaplets in the future? Thank you & God bless!