Sunday, January 18, 2009

Meditation on Our Lady's Sorrows - Day Four

The stark, unbelieving agony etched in the face of Mary, the mother of Jesus, causes him to avert his gaze in pity. Lead by the disciple John, the holy mother along with Mary Salome and Mary Magdalene have been guided swiftly through the throngs of people by a shorter route to meet him at this turn in the road. Now she confronts him. Frozen in mute horror, Mary realizes fully now the hideous end which awaits his mortal life.

The meeting of Jesus and Mary on the Way of the Cross

"And there followed Him a great multitude of people, and of women, who bewailed and lamented Him." – Luke XXIII, 27.
Meditation: Come, O ye sinners, come and see if ye can endure so sad a sight. This Mother, so tender and loving, meets her beloved Son, meets Him amid an impious rabble, who drag Him to a cruel death, wounded, torn by stripes, crowned with thorns, streaming with blood, bearing His heavy cross. Ah, consider, my soul, the grief of the blessed Virgin thus beholding her Son! Who would not weep at seeing this Mother's grief? But who has been the cause of such woe? I, it is I, who with my sins have so cruelly wounded the heart of my sorrowing Mother! And yet I am not moved; I am as a stone, when my heart should break because of my ingratitude.

Say one Ave Maria [Hail Mary]
Today in your prayers, tell your Mother who never sinned, yet paid a great price for the sins of Man that you are sorry for having grieved her so. Amen+

No comments: