Thursday, April 19, 2007

Queen of Martyrs V


"Why O Lady, did you go to sacrifice yourself on Calvary? Was it not enough for God to be crucified in order to redeem us? Did you, his mother, also have to go to be crucified with him?" ~St. Bonaventure.
The death of Jesus was more than enough to redeem Mankind, but due to her unfathomable love for her Divine Son, Mary wished to assist in the cause of our salvation. She accompanied Our Lord to Calvary to help in our salvation through the merits she offered for us there. "As we are under great obligation to Jesus for what he suffered for our sake, so also are we under great obligation to Mary for the martyrdom she voluntarily suffered for our salvation in the death of her son." Indeed she did volunteer for this martyrdom, since St. Agnes revealed to St. Bridget of Sweden, "our merciful and compassionate mother was willing to endure any torment to save the souls of men." We can hope our mother's suffering was in some way relieved by this knowledge.
Such love shown us on Mary's part deserves a huge amount of gratitude from us. We can show our gratitude by compassionating her sorrows. However the Blessed Virgin Mary has revealed that very few people do sympathize with her sacrifices on their behalf. Mary revealed to St. Bridget of Sweden, "I look around me at all who are on earth to see if there are any who pity me and who meditate on my sorrows, and I find that there are very few. Therefore, my daughter, while I may be forgotten by most people, at least you do not forget me. Meditate on my sorrows and share in my grief, as far as you can."
Jesus revealed to Bl. Veronica of Binasco that He is in fact more pleased by compassion shown to His mother and her sufferings than to Himself: "My daughter, I certainly appreciate the tears shed for my Passion. However, because I loved my mother so intensely, meditation on the torments she suffered at my death is even more agreeable to me."
Knowing this, we can better understand the reason God has made, through His Mother, such extrodinary promises to those who practice a lively devotion to His mother's sorrows. These have been stated in previous posts available in the archives, and are restated here in brief:
1. “I will grant peace to their families.”
2. “They will be enlightened about the divine Mysteries.”
3. “I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.”
4. “I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of My divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.”
5. “I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.”
6. “I will visibly help them at the moment of their death - they will see the face of their Mother.” 7. “I have obtained this grace from My divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to My tears and sorrows will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and My Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.”
We can show our Sorrowful Mother our gratitude by praying one Hail Mary for each sorrow while meditating upon it. We can also pray the Rosary of Our Lady's Sorrows available for purchase here, or the Chaplet of Our Lady's Tears available here. All of these devotions have the approval of Holy Mother Church and are richly indulgenced. I urge all of you to be devoted, mindful and grateful to our Heavenly Mother for all she has done for us.
Prayer
Be on hand, O advocate of sinners, to aid my afflicted soul in the combat it will have to engage in as it passes into eternity. Since at that hour I will probably be unable to speak and unable to call upon your name and that of Jesus, who are my only hope, I do so now. I call upon your son and you to come to my help during my last moments. And to you, O Jesus and Mary, I commend my soul. Amen+
(Source: The Glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Ligouri)

No comments: