Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Great Quote



"I do not know what I may appear to be to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, while the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me... The true God is a living, intelligent, and powerful being. His duration reaches from eternity to eternity; His presence from infinity to infinity. He governs all things."


—Memoirs of the Life, Writings, and Discoveries of Sir Isaac Newton (1855) by Sir David Brewster (Volume II. Ch. 27); Principia, Second Edition


What a beautiful, humble and true statement. I have found myself from time to time in prayer contemplating God's handiwork - the laws of physics, mathematics, the periodic table, the intricate complexity of matter, of the human body...etc. I have been known to spend time gazing upon the heavens and seeing not the chemical and physical nature of what I see but rather being awestruck at the power of God who is the All Powerful Creator of All. Now I am surprised to find a like minded soul in none other than Sir Isaac Newton who studied God's creation and gave HIM all the credit instead of placing himself as God.


1 comment:

TH2 said...

Excellent quote and commentary, Sanctus Belle.

There are alot of science & religion book popularizations done by astrophysicists these days - and never do they mention, or at least allude to, to deep religious devotion of scientists of times past.

The atheism of scientists today is a recent development, probably starting from around the beginning of the twentieth century.