Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Prayer of Discouragement


Moses' Prayer of Discouragement
Book of Numbers -Israel
10 Now Moses heard the people weeping by their families, every one at the door of his tent. And the wrath of the Lord was exceedingly enkindled: to Moses also the thing seemed insupportable. 11 And he said to the Lord: Why hast thou afflicted thy servant? wherefore do I not find favour before thee? and why hast thou laid the weight of all this people upon me? 12 Have I conceived all this multitude, or begotten them, that thou shouldst say to me: Carry them in thy bosom as the nurse is wont to carry the little infant, and bear them into the land, for which thou hast sworn to their fathers? 13 Whence should I have flesh to give to so great a multitude? they weep against me, saying: Give us flesh that we may eat. 14 I am not able alone to bear all this people, because it is too heavy for me. 15 But if it seem unto thee otherwise, I beseech thee to kill me, and let me find grace in thy eyes, that I be not afflicted with so great evils.
Hearing the complaint of Moses, the Lord did give him consolation and help:
16 And the Lord said to Moses: Gather unto me seventy men of the ancients of Israel, whom thou knowest to be ancients and masters of the people: and thou shalt bring them to the door of the tabernacle of the covenant, and shalt make them stand there with thee, 17 That I may come down and speak with thee: and I will take of thy spirit, and will give to them, that they may bear with thee the burden of the people, and thou mayest not be burthened alone. 18 And thou shalt say to the people: Be ye sanctified: tomorrow you shall eat flesh...
...But with a just consequence:
for I have heard you say: Who will give us flesh to eat? it was well with us in Egypt. That the Lord may give you flesh, and you may eat: 19 Not for one day, nor two, nor five, nor ten, no nor for twenty. 20 But even for a month of days, till it come out at your nostrils, and become loathsome to you, because you have cast off the Lord, who is in the midst of you, and have wept before him, saying: Why came we out of Egypt?
...and also a just chastisement:
33 As yet the flesh was between their teeth, neither had that kind of meat failed: when behold the wrath of the Lord being provoked against the people, struck them with an exceeding great plague. 34 And that place was called, The graves of lust: for there they buried the people that had lusted.
I am no theologian, just a simple Catholic. I see that the Lord answered Moses's prayer of discouragement based on his suffering of burden and did not chastise him. The Lord did however chastise Israel's complaining despite God's provisions for them. We are such a whining people.
We must turn with trust to the King of Heaven and ask for His actual grace to sustain us in all things - not waste our prayers and thoughts on frivolous so-called sufferings. Rest in the Spirit of the Lord and let not your heart become hopeless but rather hope in the Lord for He is in charge and control of all things. Though the gates of hell beat against you, though all things seem to fall apart around you - lock yourself up in the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary for there is the only true refuge.
Lord have pity on me. Amen+

4 comments:

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, I needed that!

Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Great post!

Paul Anthony Melanson said...

Maximilian Kolbe, at age twelve and around the time of his first Communion, received a vision of the Virgin Mary that changed his life:

"I asked the Mother of God what was to become of me. Then she came to me holding two crowns, one white, the other red. She asked if I was willing to accept either of these crowns. The white one meant that I should persevere in purity, and the red that I should become a martyr. I said that I would accept them both."

Our Lord said to John: These are those who have washed their garments in the Blood of the Lamb.

kam said...

Beautiful ending to this post! I feel encouraged when I hear (or read) people speak the TRUTH. Peace. k