Wednesday, November 14, 2007

On Detraction...



Go here for an excellent blog post from Diane at Te Deum Laudemus! Here's a small excerpt:


"{Father Benedict Groeschel} at the end of yesterday's Sunday Night Live, made an appeal to Catholic bloggers: Don't engage in detraction, and if you have, know that it is a mortal sin. As Father pointed out, even if something is true, it can be a mortal sin to pass it along. I must say that Father appeared disappointed, and was firm in his catechesis on detraction which is not well understood these days."

Definition of Detraction: Respect for the reputation of persons forbids every attitude and word likely to cause them unjust injury. He becomes guilty of detraction who, without objectively valid reason, discloses another's faults and failings to persons who did not know them.

I would like to publicly apologize and officially repent of any and all sins of detraction and rash judgement I have ever engaged in. I'm not aware of any on this blog, but I may have entered into it to some degree in comboxes at other blogs. It behooves us all to understand more of the sins of detraction, rash judgement and calumny. Every one of us ought to examine our consciences thoroughly! Those of you who blog - remember others read every word you write! Be aware of the scandal, however slight you can cause by careless words! These sins are so very common in our age. They are serious sins and if we are aware of what we do, could be the cause of mortal sin. I commit to never commit this sin again, by the mercy and grace of God.
I confess to Almighty God, to my Lord and Saviour Jesus , to blessed Mary ever Virgin, to blessed Michael the Archangel, to blessed John the Baptist, to the holy apostles Peter and Paul, to all the saints, and to You, Father, that I have sinned exceedingly in thought, word, and deed, through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault; therefore I beseech the blessed Mary ever Virgin, blessed Michael the Archangel, blessed John the Baptist, the holy apostles Peter and Paul, all the saints, and You, Father, to pray to the Lord Our God for me. May God have mercy on me, forgive me my sins, and lead me to eternal life. Amen+

No comments: