Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Our Lady of La Salette X



Symbolism of La Salette
Mary, the Queen of Heaven appeared to the seers of La Salette who were humble, poor children as a humble woman dressed in rather humble clothes. She wore a crucifix on a chain around her neck, a pincer on one side, a hammer on the other. What do these symbols of the pincer and hammer mean?
These symbols represent to each of us a choice. With our actions, thoughts, words, we can either choose to hammer the nails into the hands and feet of Our Lord upon the Cross, or we can use the pincer to withdraw them. We choose vice or virtue, sin or goodness, life or death.
Moses said it best: "I call heaven and earth to witness this day, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing. Choose therefore life, that both thou and thy seed may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
The Woman of La Salette is also the "Woman" of the gospel:
"Consider this holy apparition for a moment. First, we note the Virgin hidden from the eyes of the public, a humble, modest, Mary of Nazareth speaking a people-language, wearing a simple dress, preferring the company of humble, helpless and poor people. We also recognize, in this weeping Mother wearing the cross of Jesus praying without ceasing for her guilty children, the afflicted Mother of Calvary. Finally, here we see our Mother as the angels see her in heaven, the powerful Mediatrix, always interceding for us, the divine keeper of heavenly gifts, the generous giver of graces....making her own all of her children's concerns, those of this life and those of eternity." (A Grace Called La Salette by Fr. Jean Jaouen)
Prayer
Be on hand, O Advocate of Sinners, to aid my afflicted soul in the combat it will have to engage in as it passes into eternity. Since at that hour I will probably be unable to speak and unable to call upon your name and that of Jesus, who are my only hope, I do so now. I call upon your Son and you to come to my help during my last moments. And to you, O Jesus and Mary, I commend my soul. Amen+ ~St. Alphonsus Ligouri

No comments: